If you want to discuss more about the BSD kernel implementation, sorry, but this is meant to be a quick guide for those who want to make simple adjustments and build a custom kernel. Feel free to go further.
Just follow the 10 steps bellow:
- cd /usr/src
- wget http://mirror/netbsd/NetBSD-5.1/source/sets/syssrc.tgz
- tar zxvf sys.tar.gz -C /usr/src
- cd /usr/src/sys/arch/i386/conf
- cp GENERIC MYKERNEL (and edit MYKERNEL as you need ;-P)
- config MYKERNEL
- cd ../compile/MYKERNEL
- make depend && make && mv /netbsd /netbsd.original
- cp netbsd /
Hum! That was fast and easy, wasn't it? :)
Keep practicing with different configurations!